Saturday, February 12, 2011

Initial Thoughts & Adjusting to Life without Lists

#1 - First things first ~ goal accomplished: ride an elephant :). Yesterday I went with one of the teams that is here to an elephant park in Chiang Mai. It was half trail ride, half circus. hahaha. At one point when I was riding the elephant, we started going downhill and my bag slipped and fell down. Don't worry though, because she picked it up with her trunk and handed it back to me!!! ahhhh. soo cool :)


I am completely in love with the Remember Nhu girls already. Hearing some of their stories absolutely breaks my heart and only confirms how much more I am grateful to have this opportunity.
The weather and the property are picturesque. About 10-11 acres in one of the rural suburbs outside of the city. One of the teams that is here right now has been working on setting up a chicken coop and expanding the pig pen. Yes everyone - I am living on a farm. Aunt Judi would be so proud!!! To be honest though, that is so little of what goes on. It really is mostly to sell the pigs once they are grown and to eat the chickens and eggs. Seems to make sense to me!

There are two ponds on the property and on a walk this morning I think I found a new place to escape and get some time to myself. There is a little bench between the two ponds that looks back over the big pond and you can see the house in the background. I had some much needed quality time with the LORD there early this afternoon.


My room is basically a sorority style sleeping porch. Big room with enough bunk beds to fit about 40 girls. My personal space consists of a 4-high plastic drawer container near my bunk- rubbermaid style. Other than that, there is no such thing as privacy!

I am definitely adjusting to the differences in the way people do life here. As a company/church we are dealing with challenges in differences of culture, language, personality etc...  It is interesting seeing peoples expectations of what needs to get done, what people want to do, and what really happens. The difference in language makes it hard to communicate those things and culture makes it hard to carry them out. Two of my primary tasks while I am here are to help Carl with business related projects, and to work with Nhu on her English. I am trying to learn Thai language and culture, and teach English to Nhu - who is Cambodian and speaks Khmai (language in Cambodia) - it makes for an interesting dynamic :). Love having another girly girl around though! So excited to grow the relationship with my new sister.

Everything runs slower here in general, not to mention in addition to problems with miscommunication. As of now, I have yet to really "work". No complaints from me - it has been nice to get settled and spend time with the girls in the children's homes, but it will definitely take some time to get used to life without lists! So different from the way we do life in America!! I am used to having 800 things to do, and having to keep track of everything via lists. That is not at all necessary here. No list needed when nothing is on it! Hoping to start on some business projects next week so that may change, but who knows - I have been told life in Thailand is all about patience and flexibility.

I promise to post pictures soon - I haven't transferred everything from my camera to the computer yet and my camera is back home. Right now I am writing from the house of another family who works for Remember Nhu. They offered me WiFi and cereal - YES!!!

My Thai is getting better and everyone says I am picking up fast - thank you so much for all of you who are praying for me! Keep it up because apparently it is working :). Would also love prayers for my relationships with Nhu and the other staff at Remember Nhu. Want to establish them early and well. Because communication is an issue, this is especially important!!!

<3

9 comments:

  1. Just saw your posting a few minutes ago and started balling - ahh so emotional today! I am so proud of the Christian woman you have turned out to be. So excited for you and what you will be able to accomplish with God's hands in all things you are doing. We will pray for you!

    PS - I'm posting this on FB this morning as many people have heard that you have limited internet access for the moment (hopefully this will change soon).

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO EXCITED YOU ALREADY ACCOMPLISHED ONE OF YOUR GOALS, GIRL!! :) and then you are accomplishing so many other unexpected goals :) It sounds like you are right where you are meant to be and doing exactly what you ought. Its beautiful. Thank you for this lovely window into whats going on and I look forward to reading more.

    Love you so and am praying,
    H

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting Megan! You are on one grand adventure, for sure. Your Dad posted this on FB and I picked it up. Will be praying for you and those God is touching through you.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Megan,
    We are following your blog with great interest. So glad you made it safe and sound and how exciting to read about all of your adventures! Your adventures are in our prayers!
    ~Sally and Rachel Reintjes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to continue reading about all you are doing. What a great experience! We'll continue praying for you.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you every day sister. Can't stop smiling at the thought of you riding an elephant :) LOVE YOU & missing you.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job on the elephants. More elephants. More guava. Keep up the good (elephant related) work. You'll need to start a circus when you get back. It's good to know you're enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When is the best time to skype with you? I would love to chat and see how you are adjusting. God has kept you on my heart constantly! Praying for you everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey sister! Happy Valentine's Day:) I love the idea of slowing down, I know it can be hard to adjust to but how blessed you are to experience that. On the days I am slow, deliberate and flexible, I feel like I get to enjoy God and His glory more:) Love to you and will lift you and your brothers and sisters up in prayer. xoxo Ashley

    ReplyDelete