Monday, May 16, 2011

"In This World You Will Have Trouble..."


In the last few weeks I have been reflecting on the fact that I am confronted daily with circumstances of poverty, desperation, hardships, and people struggling through life - both here, and in stories from friends back home. Across the world, despite different cultures we all experience these things… I have been considering the thought “if God is good then why….”

I have often wondered, and had friends question, why He allows such atrocity and despair in this world, even among Christians. But that is just it – the Bible does not say that believers of Christ will have it easier than those who do not believe.

I do not have a complete answer yet as to why these things happen (I am studying though so if you are looking for an answer let me know) but I do know that the difference I see between the reaction in people who believe in Jesus and those who do not is hope. Not just a positive attitude about tomorrow or next year, or ten years from now. But the honest belief that the world is being renewed, that God is coming back and will wipe away every tear, that He is in control and has a plan, that ultimately this world is not all that there is. That this life is but a moment in the span of spending eternity with the true God of the Universe and that HE LOVES ME!

That hope, the knowledge of the good news of God’s grace brings joy that transcends circumstances. It somehow creates a spirit of gratefulness that overshadows present situations. Now don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t change how you I or the people here may feel when our world is crumbling. Those feelings are real and should not be diminished. Many people throughout history have cried out to God feeling just the same - disappointment, frustration, confusion, anxiety, heartache (Read Psalm 6 and 13). But at the same time, if you truly believe that God can save you from and out of all this – you WILL experience gratefulness and joy as well. Along with love, they are the truest, deepest, most lasting, rooted emotions that dwell in your heart when the Spirit of God is with you.

Hope, and Joy, but also Comfort… Living far away from my friends, my family, and my church has taught me to live day by day. Jesus is the God of all comfort and He promises never to leave, never to turn his back on us. He is always present, and will comfort all those who let Him. More and more I am finding this to be absolutely true in my life. And therefore, after experiencing this, how I wish that more would know the truth. That they themselves could be given new hope, new joy, new comfort – all of which will last for all eternity.

I realize that it may be impossible in a short blog to address such a huge and controversial topic, but it has been on my heart to write. I have actually recently acquired two different books that were written to address this question. Randy Alcorn’s “If God is Good Why Do We Hurt” and “The Problem of Pain” by CS Lewis.  I am sure these books will go so much deeper than I have even considered, but I do know this – Jesus said: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” ~ John 16:33



4 comments:

  1. Once again, you've drawn me to tears--tears of empathy for all those who are suffering, but also tears of joy in the Lord. I'm so grateful that you, my dear daughter, know the hope of the resurrection and find comfort and joy in your Father. Praying that others will know this, too.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan: your blog today compels me to write back and give you a word of encouragement. You are going thru so much and I see the deepening of your faith as I read about your adventures. I admire your commitment and obedience. Blessing on your week from us here. Watch out for spiders!
    Know we love you and the amazing work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan - this was a truly powerful message. Thank you for sharing what is on your heart! We love you and what you are doing! Keep up your focus on the Word and the MAIN THING! You are awesome girl!

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing, my dear sweet, beautiful, godly servant! I recently read a book called "If God is Good" by Yancey and it is amazing at addressing that. You are so right about the hope that we have and the joy that it brings in the midst of trials-and we likely won't know what many trials were for until ALL is redeemed.
    Here is a blog you would LOVE: www.aholyexperience.com
    You are amazing-thank you for showing us ladies what it looks like to step out in faith and constantly be obedient to His mission.
    xoxo, Anna N

    ReplyDelete