Sunday, May 8, 2011

Songkran ~ Water Fighting to Celebrate the New Year

This post is REALLY late, and I again apologize for the delay in getting this up on the internet. I have told a few people now to keep me accountable in writing every weekend. So – as I post this, I am also uploading three others and will do my best to stay current from here on out. Thanks to all my faithful supporters for being patient with me! J

April 13-15th every year marks the Thai (and many parts of SE Asia due to the influence of the ‘Buddhist year’) New Years. To celebrate new years in times long past, the local people would travel to the temples to give offerings and be blessed by the monks. To symbolize their blessings and a cleansing ritual, the monks would pour a small cup of fragrant water on the person’s shoulder.

As with many holidays over the world – this tradition has morphed into something completely non-spiritual and Thai’s now celebrate new year by hosting the biggest most out of control water fight I have ever experienced. Everyone gets the entire week off of work (and school in my case), and on Thursday and Friday it is pretty much impossible to go anywhere without being soaked. I have been told that Chiang Mai’s party is even bigger than in other part’s of Thailand and that people come from all over Thailand – and foreigners come for the party. Furthermore, as a foreigner, you are a target for children who put ICE in their water to keep it freezing cold and pour it on you from big buckets or the super soakers that are sold in abundance all week.

Every few weeks I am given a weekend away from the Children’s home to get a mental and physical break. I requested that for April, I get the weekend of Songkran to see what all the fuss is about. J I stayed downtown in the heart of the city and on Friday met up with a group of about 10 other foreigners from all over the world. We walked all around the moat in Chiang Mai following the crowds of people. Imagine the number of people that flock into town for a parade, lining the streets, but instead of watching a parade, they literally are just soaking each other. Vendors come in in groves to host music stages and giveaways.


You learn very quickly to only travel in clothes that can be wet and to keep on you only your important belongings, preferably in a water proof pouch (also sold in abundance). In this picture it had just finished raining for an hour (it was about 75 deg). A little boy had just dumped an entire barrel (with the help of his friend) of freezing cold water over me, and then a guy walking buy added the chalk on my face – also a tradition coming from talcum powder that had been used to add fragrance to the water. Can you tell I am really cold!

Having fun, “soaking” up the culture here, and living life Thai style.
HaPpY NeW YeAr!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Wish I was there soaking it up with you. You have had an amazing experience in such a short time. Continue to seek God's wisdom and guidance for all you do. We are proud of your work there Megan.

    ReplyDelete