Monday, May 30, 2011

"Normal Life"

Normal life - what does that even mean?

Life here has settled into "normalcy.” Despite my lack of American luxuries like air conditioning, hot showers, meals without rice, driving laws etc... life really is not that different than back home. People are still going grocery shopping (though usually at the open market instead of Safeway), running late, and working through relationships with each other. Teenage girls still think and talk about boys and hair and Facebook. Younger girls still play hand-clapping games, and build sandcastles in the dirt, and twirl around and dress-up. I am still addicted to coffee, enjoy a good book, and love girl talk with my friends back home.

I have set-up a routine for myself and adjusted to the slower pace of Thai time to the point that I rarely think about it anymore. And yet - I still feel as though the expectation I have for myself, and that I feel others have for me as a "missionary" is for something more adventurous, more daring, more holy than “normal life.”
I am learning that God lives every bit as much in the "normal" parts of our lives as he does the brief moments of excitement. He is with us every step of the way, in every conversation regardless of the topic, in every game, chore, and responsibility. How effective might we be if we really learned to abide and consciously reflect on His presence in these moments - to let him shine in and through us in our everyday activities?
Working for a Christian based non-profit in another country does put me into a unique situation, and gives me a platform to share the importance of this cause, of these people, of what Christ is doing here in this ministry. The children here at Remember Nhu need to be recognized, to be supported, to be known. The precious people who find their home under this roof are saved from a horrific existence and I am blessed to be a part of their lives. But I am also realizing more and more that our responsibility exists everywhere and if we diminish that in the United States, we are doing a disservice to our own country. We are all called to live out the gospel, to care for the hurting people in our lives, and to share the good news regardless of our location.

I am so thankful that God is present in every moment of our normal lives. He is the true source of provision, of protection, of strength, affirmation, and every other good gift. Those gifts are available to all of us, to equip us to every good work. Only through Him can we live a life that is adventurous, daring, and holy. He has given us the desire for better than "normal" and only in Him can those desires be fulfilled.

1 comment:

  1. I love this message Megan! I have been doing a great deal of soul-searching myself these past few months. There is so much wisdom in the Good Book! So much to learn! I have to tell you about a small-group study we have done this past spring. The final chapters summarized a list of "Five Stones", similar to what God gave David (1Samual 17:40) at a time of challenge:

    1. Suffering is Normal
    2. Work unto the Lord
    3. Manage Wealth Wisely (be good stewards of all he has provided)
    4. Make Wise Decisions
    5. Live Grace-filled Lives

    From a blog on Christianity101online.com (2007):
    "The reason for picking up “five smooth stones” when we face difficulties (or opportunities for that matter) is that God expects us to do our part to prepare for the challenge. And it is a reminder that only he knows what’s best for us. Sometimes what we think is the best result isn’t what God knows to be the best result. When the Bible says that “God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them” (Romans 8:28), we need to remember that God always knows what’s best for us. Only he sees the big picture. We need to trust him as we prepare ourselves in heart and mind to serve and obey and glorify him in all things."

    Thanks to God for all you are doing Megan!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete